top of page
SFT - scenic shot from flight along the NSW coastline

Frequently Asked Questions

Discover our most commonly asked questions about flight training and aircraft hire below. If talking to a real-life human is more your thing, you can get in touch through our Contact page

  • Where do I start if I want to become a pilot?
    We recommend conducting a Trial Instructional Flight (TIF) as an introduction to life as a pilot. When you decide you would like to begin your lessons, simply contact us to schedule your first lesson! For more information on a Trial Instruction Flight with SFT head to our TIF page.
  • What type of pilot's licence should I obtain?
    The Recreational Pilot’s Licence is the first class of licence, and once obtained allows you to fly within 25nm of your departure aerodrome with passengers. Departing from Bankstown, this would allow you to fly North to Barrenjoey Headland, South to Seacliff Bridge, and West to Warragamba Dam. The Private Pilot’s Licence allows you to fly anywhere in Australia with passengers. You can also gain endorsements on your licence such as Night VFR, Aerobatics Rating, and Multi-Engine Class Rating. If you wish to work in Australia as a pilot, you will need to gain your Commercial Pilot’s Licence.
  • How much does it cost to get a pilot's licence?
    The total approximate cost to gain your Recreational Pilot’s Licence is $15,000 - $20,000. This includes 30 hours flight time (25 hours dual, 5 hours solo), resource costs such as textbooks, logbook, headset, maps and charts, medical expenses, and an Aviation Security Card. If you wish to continue through to the Private Pilot’s Licence, it would be an addition of approximately $10,000 - $15,000.
  • How long will it take to get my Recreational Pilot's Licence?
    If you fly once a week and follow the syllabus hours closely, with some allowance for sickness and weather, it will take approximately 9 months to complete. For more details head to our RPL course page or download the SFT RPL Brochure
  • How long will it take to get my Private Pilot's Licence?
    Once you have your Recreational Pilot’s Licence, if you continue to fly once per week, it will take approximately 3 additional months. Click here for more details on our PPL course or download our PPL Brochure.
  • Are there any pre-requisites for me to begin my training?
    Sydney Flight Training is a Part 141 operator, catering to private clientele who wish to fly as much or little as they would like. There are no pre-requisites to beginning your flight training with us, but we recommend obtaining your Class 2 medical certificate (Class 1 if you wish to pursue a Commercial Pilot’s Licence) as soon as possible to ensure there is nothing that may prevent you from continuing your training. To find our more about obtaining an aviation medical, head to the CASA website
  • Can I take my family/friends with me on my trial flight or flying lessons?
    Unfortunately, no, as these initial lessons are all Instructional, only the student and instructor can be on board the aircraft. Once you gain your Recreational Pilot’s Licence, you are eligible to take passengers and fly within 25nm of your departure aerodrome.
  • Do you offer Theory courses?
    Yes, we periodically offer theory courses for RPL, PPL, and IREX. Please head over to our theory course page for more information.
  • What kind of aircraft do you have?
    Single-Engine and Multi-Engine aircraft ideal for initial flight training. Head over to our Fleet page for more information regarding aircraft type, callsigns, and pricing.
  • Do you offer simulator training?
    Yes, we have an Elite CASA approved trainer we use for Instrument Training, as well as a Garmin Task Trainer and Cirrus Task trainer we use for initial flight training. For more information on our Simulator training click here.
  • What events do you offer?
    We offer events such as Flyaways, Saturday BBQ’s, Air Traffic Control visits, and other community events. Visit our Events page for more. To be the first to hear about all the SFT news, subscibe to our newsletter.
  • Can I hire an aircraft and take passengers?
    We hire our aircraft to licenced pilots. Please head over to our Aircraft Hire page for more information regarding available aircraft, rates and our Terms & Conditions.
bottom of page